Encyclopeadia Britannica (11th Edition 1911)

As I pointed out in my earlier post, the eleventhand ninth editions of Britannica are regarded as the zenith of the truly all encompassing encyclopaedia written by world-class experts.

Jerry Coleman of California wrote to me as result of my post:

Your recent post sent me to my 11th edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. (I acquired it many years ago when someone in an adjoining office said, "I'm cleaning out old books; anyone want these before I toss them?") The article on canals here is also extensive, this time written by Sir Edward Leader Williams, "Consulting Engineer on the Manchester Ship Canal and Chief Engineer during its construction". The article on Aqueducts no longer has the drawings, but pictures of continental structures.

As you commented this is an amazing document for the articles on obscure subjects and its perspective of the times. I have the 1921 supplement, and it is quite something to read about Europe on both ends of WWI.


Leader Williams, as chief engineer of the Weaver Navigation, was also instrumental in the construction of the Anderton Lift which was designed by Edwin Clark.

It further demonstrates how Britannica went to the "right" people for articles.